Estate planning provides you and your family with confidence that your estate will be preserved from excessive taxation, that your health care needs can be met, and that your estate is protected from imprudent spending. Prudent planning directly and positively benefits you and your loved ones. The Galloway estate planning team will be able to determine the value of your estate and how to legally protect it from confiscatory taxes. We can create a plan to distribute your estate that preserves its value and protects your heirs to ensure the financial security of those you love. If you do not plan for what happens to your estate upon your death, the government will decide how your estate is distributed. In addition, proper estate planning can help protect your assets from creditors, both during life and after death.
Once your estate plan is in place, you also want to ensure that your wishes are carried out. Our attorneys assist executors and heirs in administering estates and in probate and succession proceedings, and regularly counsel clients on planning for administration of both large estates and modest estates. Our attorneys are trained in the field of estate planning and taxation, and can assist with planning and estate administration needs in a variety of ways:
- Developing estate plans that are personalized for each family, including preparation of simple to complex wills, trusts, and donations
- Developing strategies to minimize exposure to estate, gift, and generation-skipping transfer taxes
- Representing guardians to determine incapacity through the closing of the guardianship estate
- Developing plans to address business, personal, and health care decisions in the event of incapacity
- Developing plans to address special needs beneficiaries
- Representing personal representatives and executors in probate proceedings and in administering successions and estates
- Developing plans for business succession
- Creating plans for charitable giving
- Representing parties in tax, probate, and trust disputes
- Preparing wills, testamentary trusts, and irrevocable or revocable living trusts
We are committed to assisting our clients through these highly personal matters with care, compassion, and discretion, recognizing that what may work for one family, may not be appropriate for another. We know that one size does not fit all. So, we take time to understand our client’s personal situation and develop the most appropriate solutions as a result. And we encourage a team approach to estate and business planning, ensuring that our client’s accountant, financial advisor, insurance professional, and other advisors are all working together to achieve the desired goal.